The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ltlt3-probably-the-biggest-reason-i-chose-to-33998595.aspx

Subject:  Re: Study on early claiming of SS Date:  9/4/2018  8:25 PM
Author:  SeattlePioneer Number:  20691 of 21582

<<3. Probably the biggest reason I chose to take it early was my thinking that 'why should I tap my tax protected investments'. Why not let them grow longer. To me SS represents a $300-$400k pot that I'm drawing down on.>>

The government offers substantial incentives, but are they really enough to justify leaving free money sit on the table?

In my case, I decided "no."

Besides allowing me to increase investments in the stock market the past six years, taking larger SS benefits now would increase the income taxes I pay on SS benefits an minimum withdrawals from my 401 K that I will have to take beginning next year.

I have no regrets that I began taking SS at age 62 instead of my current age of 68.

I'm sure people make such decisions for many reasons. Declaring people to be fools for doing so at age 62 is just another example of people slavishly following expert opinion that may or may not be applicable.

Seattle Pioneer
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us