The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quotthe-most-common-given-reason-for-thisat-33998683.aspx

Subject:  Re: Study on early claiming of SS Date:  9/4/2018  11:06 PM
Author:  Art53 Number:  20696 of 21053

"The most common given reason for this...at least to me...is the fear that SS is going to 'run dry' and so they want to start taking while they can take." - Bruce

There is a thing called "the break even point." I think it's around age 84 years of age? What age you got to live to to make it worthwhile to wait? If genetics plays a part in longevity I don't have a lot of confidence that I'll make it to that break even point. I figure at least 80% of my life is behind me. My mom died at age 51 of stomach cancer. She never got to collect a penny of social security. My dad died at age 65 of cardiomyopathy. My oldest sister Valerie died in her sleep at age 73 from a weak heart.

My 2nd oldest sister Rose died at age 46 of kidney failure. All my aunts and uncles died in their early to mid 70s from cancer, heart disease, and some kind of weird autoimmune disease. My maternal grandmother died at age ~ 56 from breast cancer. My maternal grandfather lived to be 89 years of age but he was a little guy and a vegetarian and a 7th Day Adventist.

So far so good.

Art
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us