The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/chinas-ambitious-plans-to-divert-rivers-from-the-34018546.aspx

Subject:  Re: China & soybeans Date:  9/27/2018  8:38 AM
Author:  captainccs Number:  544860 of 573331

China’s ambitious plans to divert rivers from the south to irrigate the north are in trouble now for ecological and political reasons.

Recently I watched a video (uTube) about reclaiming Mongolia's landscape from the advancing desert which, in turn, was the unintended consequence of Mao's program to farm the apparently fertile Mongolia. The fertility was real but fragile, Mongolia could only support a sparce population. With the inflow of millions of farmers the Mongolian ecosystem was upset leading to erosion and desertification -- like the dustbowl in the USA which John Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath so brilliantly described.

I still remember reading the first page of The Grapes of Wrath, never before had I come across such powerful description, as vivid as watching a movie. I had to stop to absorb it fully. That page alone justified John Steinbeck's reputation.

Our world is fragile, we better take good care of Gaia. Beware unintended consequences!

The Captain
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us