The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/trying-to-freeze-credit-34031331.aspx

Subject:  Trying to FREEZE credit Date:  10/10/2018  11:47 AM
Author:  footsox Number:  312289 of 313075

Hi guys, I have a handicapped brother from a head injury years ago. He lives alone, but myself and my 2 cousins check on him regularly, handle all his bills, banking, etc. Well, he recently lost his wallet, driver's license, etc. So, I have been working to replace his ID's. My spouse and I have our credit frozen, so I thought it would be a good idea to freeze my brother's credit also. I went online... and none of the credit bureaus would freeze his credit -- they all basically said they could not find my brother. Well, he has NEVER had a credit card. He is 64 now, but relied on my parents for his life since his late 20's. In his 20's I don't think he ever had a credit card, or a car loan, or a house loan, etc. So, now it looks like all 3 credit bureaus cannot locate him.

My question is -- do I really need to freeze his credit?? I was thinking about the possibility of someone stealing his identity, but now I am wondering if that is even possible. For me to freeze his credit, I would have to mail my Power of Attorney papers to all 3 bureaus and deal with them that way. I am just wondering if it is worth the hassle. He has never been online, and he just has one checking account at the local bank. I am thinking of just not worrying about it. What do you think? Thanks.

Footsox
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us