The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Foolish 401(k)s

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/thank-you-for-all-of-the-great-responses-answers-34053202.aspx

Subject:  Re: Roth 401k Uncertainty Date:  11/4/2018  10:52 AM
Author:  monica3674 Number:  26168 of 26254

Thank you for all of the great responses!

Answers to some questions:

The match occurs at the end of the year based on his total contribution. So if we reduced contribution, the match would be reduced as well.

I will make about $11k this year and approximately the same next year. (I bought 5 years when I was working from 1999-2005. My 5 years only counts if I put in an actual 10 years. And by getting an actual 10 years in, we will be eligible for health care in retirement. I don't have the time or energy to work as a full-time teacher right now. The money would obviously be much better, but I don't think the stress would be worth it.)

The ESOP was a benefit added when they took away the pension. DH gets employer stock at the end of each year (not a publicly owned company) based on his years of service and salary. Each fall, we can rollover a certain percentage. This year it's 8% (but might be reduced based on total redemptions). I have to request the rollover shortly. When he leaves the company, the stock price will be locked in, and he can roll it over to an IRA and it will be given within five years depending on how you leave the company.

It didn't occur to me that it didn't have to be an all or nothing decision. I like the idea of maybe doing half regular and half Roth. He typically gets a bit of a raise each April, so that might absorb some of the net pay loss.

DH thinks we can switch contributions during the year. So maybe if we started 100% Roth and missed the income too much, we could change it.

I do like those bonus paychecks at the end of the year - but if we reduced the amount deducted each pay period, we could do without those and lessen the impact of the Roth.

Thank you for all of the great information!

Monica
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us