The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-been-a-widow-now-for-3-years-still-in-the-34077878.aspx

Subject:  Re: Retirement Communities or Stay Put? Date:  12/6/2018  11:31 AM
Author:  Bobcatkitty Number:  20831 of 23319

I have been a widow now for 3 years. Still in the small downsized house we built together in 2013. My age is 74.

We have a new facility that is opening this month in Fayetteville AR and I have gone through it. It is not a continuing care type facility it is a wonderful apartment with many amenities that could actually allow someone to never have to leave.....Cost for 2 bd 2 ba is $4900/mo. In adding up my monthly costs to stay in this house, the cost is about $500/mo.

I still drive my new Cadillac XT5, volunteer at the local VA medical center 2 days per week. Sing in the adult choir at church, travel with or without someone with me. I think nothing of driving 400mi to my son and DIL who live in Lincoln, Ne. Stay in hotels alone (yep, my Glock 43 is with me). I have no family members here in Arkansas.

I will continue all this until it becomes obvious that I need some additional help and I will take advantage of some home health care. I can pay for for quite a bit of home help rather than pay that $4900/mo.

My house is paid for as is my car, and due to the generous state of Arkansas I pay no real estate taxes or personal property taxes....this is due to the VA disability level of my DH before he died.

IMHO, it comes down to what we are comfortable with and how much retirement funds we have at our disposal. For me, I'm here....my life goes on.
Copyright 1996-2022 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us