The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/distributions-are-tracked-on-a-calendar-year-34077970.aspx

Subject:  Re: 401K/IRA in probate Date:  12/6/2018  12:51 PM
Author:  vkg Number:  128235 of 129384

Distributions are tracked on a calendar year basis, regardless of the tax year of the reporting entity.

As I expected

Generally speaking, any IRA/401K that becomes part of the probate estate is not eligible for RMD distributions, but must be fully distributed within 5 years. It doesn't matter how you time the distributions as long as they are completed timely.

Ira

Timely meaning that the account is fully distributed within the five years will be easy. The accounts aren't large but I don't want to annoy the IRS.

This defintely lowers my stress level. The 401K and IRA were moved to the estate but there are still more forms to file to actually have any control of the investments or distributions. I am trying roll them over to my brokerage for easier management.

Probate should close in 2019. Average in this area is a year to a 18 months for probate.

Which means I only have to worry about is the RMD for the inherited IRA which is not part of probate. I don't have a December 2017 statement.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us