The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Saul’s Investing Discussions

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/glad-to-see-someone-put-some-numbers-together-with-34080367.aspx

Subject:  Re: The key-est numbers Date:  12/9/2018  3:00 PM
Author:  volfan84 Number:  49297 of 60697

Glad to see someone put some numbers together with my idea, as I have yet to have a chance to.

I agree with Saul and Denny that trying to use a forward-looking number for this metric is probably not a great idea. Using the latest quarter's number is probably better. Adding on the additional factor with the yet-to-be-determined coefficient should help account for the trajectory of a given business (quarter over quarter R40 change x TBD coefficient).

Determining the proper coefficient as I have envisioned it would include trying to normalize the values to be closer to each other, and could use price ranges from a number of different quarters (a la Tom Engle's trading ranges). For a given period (a quarter), the sales number and the R40 and the quarter-over-quarter change in the R40 would be set numbers with the EV varying with the share price.

I'm hoping that later in the week next week I might be able to put together something to try to determine a proper coefficient that brings the concept together.

volfan84
Time to watch my #7 Vols face #1 Gonzaga
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us