The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/very-true-tim-it-just-goes-to-show-how-34082515.aspx

Subject:  Re: Violent extortion in France... Date:  12/12/2018  7:24 AM
Author:  notehound Number:  548993 of 561096

Very true, Tim. It just goes to show how effective the anti-nuclear propaganda has been.

I must admit I have been propagandized since college, due to the Three Mile Island incident, then Chernobyl.

That said, I am open to safe nuclear, and I actually own a vacation cabin and land not far from a 1970s era nuclear plant on a lake owned by Duke Power. Of course, in order to be completely truthful, from time to time DW and I discuss the seemingly high coincidence of cancer among people who have lived in the vicinity for many years. We don't worry, since we're only there for days at a time, but I try to make sure and drink only bottled water, just to be safe.

Fukushima is still leaking radiation, which is not a healthy thing even if it doesn't threaten Hawaii or the US. It seems that there are many reactors built in unstable areas, but I am not an engineer with the expertise that the designers of Fukushima and the West coast US reactors must have had when they desiged them to be safe against earthquakes and tsunamis.

To be fair to all sides, I think it important to consider all sources of power generation and to make a feasibility analysis. In some areas, hydropower or geothermal makes the most sense; in other areas, natural gas, solar, or wind might be most cost-effective. I am in favor of using all the technologies, including safely designed nuclear, depending upon feasibility.

As a consumer, I am only interested in getting the cheapest form of electric service that doesn't put me at increased risk of cancer or some other illness. In my earlier life, I have taken many walks in the woods, but have rarely seen any two-headed creatures due to radiation exposure. Actually, about 10 years ago, I remember seeing a skink with a growth on the side of its neck that looked like a second head. Of course, two-headed lizards are seen from time-to-time even in areas that are nowhere near a nuclear plant.

https://www.treehugger.com/natural-sciences/two-headed-lizar...

Regardless of my feelings or my admittedly propaganda-susceptible biases, I must defer to the better judgment of those who have advanced knowledge of energy generation, physics, radiation contamination, nuclear waste disposal, plate tectonics, tsunami dynamics, heavy construction, soil geology, and hydrological seepage rates. My dear departed dad was an engineer with expertise in fluid dynamics, but he is no longer available to advise me. He passed away 3 months before the Fukushima incident.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fukushima_Daiichi_nuclear_disa...

I don't like to argue about things I am unable to change, so I must retire from this thread. I does seem to have wandered far from my original comment on the cleverness of the French protesters, who have extracted monetary promises from the politicians who are willing to buy them off using their fellow Frenchwomen's tax monies.

'Hound [confused and sometimes concerned, but not necessarily frightened]
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us