The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/we-sold-the-beach-house-and-put-the-proceeds-into-34082824.aspx

Subject:  Re: Perspectives on the stock market Date:  12/12/2018  12:51 PM
Author:  notehound Number:  549021 of 567445

We sold the beach house and put the proceeds into cash in an FDIC insured account presently earning 1.25%.

Jgc123,

Sorry to hear you sold the beach house. I seem to recall you only bought it a few years ago. I might have preferred to sell the primary residence and convert the beach house into a primary residence (preferably in a no-income-tax state - such as my favorite, Amelia Island, Florida).

Congratulations on making it to retirement in good health. That is a luxury that not everyone is able to enjoy. Even if you're following Wendy, and cutting superfluous spending, I might suggest that you take advantage of youthful vitality to do the adventure travel thing, even if it cuts into the kids' inheritance.

I truly admire Wendy immensely, especially her brilliant mind and her legendary self-discipline. However, as much as I admire Wendy, I truly ENVY her brother, Jeff.

Jeff has spent the most active years of his early retirement globe-trotting and venturing into more remote corners of the world than a person could comfortably navigate if they wait until they start to feel their age.

Again, congrats on your reaching retirement. If you'd like to rent a nice place at the beach sometime, please drop me a line. Rental real estate is one of the few ways to get better than minimal returns on investment, at least until interest rates rise substantially.

If you decide to shop for another beach or island property, I suggest you check out Amelia Island. It's the farthest point West on the entire East Coast of North America (longitudinally West of Cincinnati) and the closest place to Heaven on earth for me.

;-)
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us