The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quotso-if-the-sequence-of-events-mentioned-in-34082932.aspx

Subject:  Re: Perspectives on the stock market Date:  12/12/2018  2:29 PM
Author:  jgc123 Number:  549027 of 567680

"So, if the sequence of events mentioned in the first paragraph unfolds, do you have a plan for dealing with it? If not, think about it, you have time, but I don't have a crystal ball to predict how much...."

Rising inflation is on our radar as well.

Our house is paid for.

We still have more stocks than cash which should serve as an inflation hedge.

Our one pension (spouse) and Social Security entitlements have some inflation adjustments and I am deferring my Social Security which serves as an additional inflation hedge.

Our cash is not in CDs at the moment. It is in savings. If rates go up in response to inflation, so will our savings interest (I guess). If not, I have some flexibility to pursue stocks, bonds, preferreds or whatever holds up best in the near future.

On a more extreme note, I am learning to slice and dice veggies and clean dishes so jgcspouse will cook more. We take long walks and I cycle and we bird all of which are inflation resistant.

On an even more extreme note, we loaned money to our younger daughter and her husband to buy a small farm in Augusta County. They already have a small house built, a greenhouse built, 2 small pigs, and access to unlimited produce at the community garden at which my daughter is executive director - google Project Grows if you are bored and have free time.

Anyway, we are looking at selling our over sized home and paying cash for a smaller home in Augusta County.

So yes, we are serious about battening down the hatches in the face of what we consider to be great economic uncertainty on the eve of our retirement.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us