The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/if-they-want-people-to-save-more-pay-them-more-34083661.aspx

Subject:  Re: More Hard Hitting Fox News Retirement Report Date:  12/13/2018  11:01 AM
Author:  Carpian Number:  91092 of 93255

If they want people to save more PAY THEM MORE! That's the problem. It always comes down to forcing people to slice their pie thinner and thinner. More pie MF'ers! MORE PIE!

Have to differ on this one. I've done the payroll everywhere I've worked, so I've always known how much money people make, and it's been eye-opening to me to see how many people make more money than me, yet are living paycheck to paycheck and deeply in debt, while I'm not. Your choice of residence, car, clothes (and how many clothes), how often you eat out and where, how much do you travel and where, all are huge factors.

For many people, it's just "how they live". Pay them more and they will just spend more. It's not "wrong" necessarily, but it does have the consequence of not saving much for times when they might wish they had.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us