The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/voelkels-a-pharmacist-recommended-an-unusual-34094484.aspx

Subject:  Re: Holiday Goodies Date:  12/28/2018  4:17 PM
Author:  RetiredVermonter Number:  56349 of 56434

voelkels:

A pharmacist recommended an unusual thing for my slipped disk/sciatica years ago and it was a miracle. I have used it a couple of times when I had a flare-up. It's called a "hydroculator". Sounds funny, maybe, but I found it worked when heating pads and such failed.

It comes in various shapes, but is basically canvas, with segments containing some kind of crystals that swell and retain heat when the thing is soaked in boiling water. To use it, you heat it up that way, wrap in however many layers of towel are needed to avoid burning yourself (gradually use fewer layers as it cools), and apply (maybe lie on it) until the pain goes away.

I once agonized for a week, lying on the carpet on my back, taking pain pills, until I tried that. In 20 minutes (true story), I gently got up and the pain was gone -- permanently!

Ask your doctor about it. He may laugh or may say it's a good idea.

After use, store in a plastic bag in the refrigerator to avoid having it get moldy (!) until needed again.

I wish you success.

Vermonter
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us