The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-an-unpaid-volunteer-and-helperrunner-for-a-34101139.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ounce of prevention...(long) Date:  1/6/2019  8:24 AM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  312316 of 312612

I was an unpaid volunteer and helper/runner for a long time

I wanted to emphasize this.

Opportunities don't fall into your lap if you are looking for a retirement gig. In my case, it was many years of paid employment and volunteer activities with professional organizations that led to consulting opportunities.

For cabinsmama(excuse me for speaking for you) and me, the opportunities have included significant travel. I mostly enjoyed it and liked visiting places I might never have gotten. OTOH, I had a couple of places that were just a PITA. In my case, I had some control of the timing but I was coordinating with a colleague and with the client for dates.

In my case, I didn't plan to work after retirement and retired young. I have enjoyed most of what I have done since then but my main work is no longer all that much fun and I'll be done this spring. It's always possible I will be offered something but I am not looking.

One of the side benefits of a good network was that I had several friends/colleagues who were very clear that they would have more work for me if I needed it after my husband died. Also, by staying in my field, I also knew it wouldn't have been an issue to go back into full-time employment.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us