The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/in-college-has-stock-accounts-and-bank-34105298.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit for College Date:  1/11/2019  10:32 AM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  312326 of 312536

...in college ... has stock accounts and bank accounts...

Actually, since she has assets, she might not even need a co-signer. I googled "credit cards for college students with no credit," and this is from wallethub.com:

You can get all of the following student credit cards with no credit. Credit card companies actually roll out the red carpet for students despite their lack of credit history (some offers are from WalletHub partners). They do this because of students’ earning potential and decades of forthcoming financial independence, which can be very profitable for banking institutions. To qualify, all a student must do is demonstrate the independent income or assets needed to pay at least their minimum monthly bill (usually around $10 for student cards). But if that’s not possible, it’s worth looking into having a parent co-sign, given the importance of credit building at this stage in your life.

Looks like Discover offers the best "goodies," but personally I think for a 1st-timer the cash back might be a distraction; plus, although Discover is accepted in a lot more places than they used to be, they're still not as widely accepted as Visa or Mastercard.

Besides "independent assets," there's also the "secured" option.

Citi has a secured Mastercard with no fee. Steep APR, which doesn't matter if it's paid in full each month. I like Citi because they've been easy to deal with when I had disputed charges. Whereas, USAA made me jump through multiple hoops (ultimately deciding in my favor, but I didn't appreciate their reluctance).
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us