The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/but-if-you-just-give-your-daughter-your-card-she-34105517.aspx

Subject:  Re: Credit for College Date:  1/11/2019  1:56 PM
Author:  Frugalicious Number:  312331 of 312572

But if you just give your daughter your card, she will not have as much of an opportunity to learn how to manage her spending and learn to pay the bill. I think you need to be thinking much longer term.

I don't think anyone is suggesting that she just pump her daughter's credit score up and send her on her merry way. There is more than one way to handle getting credit, but either way, a parent has to teach his or her kids how to manage it. Based on the fact that the OP's daughter already has investment accounts, I suspect that they are already having financial discussions.

My 18 year old daughter is an authorized user and she manages the card herself. She makes the charges; she makes the payments. I check the account periodically to make sure everything is on track. If anything seems amiss, we have a discussion about it. It's all a part of the financial education a that includes budgeting, retirement planning, credit card usage, etc.

There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us