The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/macbook-pro-problems-34112511.aspx

Subject:  Macbook Pro problems Date:  1/17/2019  8:45 PM
Author:  wolferd1 Number:  71280 of 71632

I have a mid 2012 MBP that has been great for a long time. I had continued to update it and was running the most recent Mojave on it. It wasn't a speed demon opening Open Office but did fine on the internet and other casual things I used it for.

In the past month or so it started slowing down, then all but ground to a halt. I have also used Windows for a very long time and thought maybe a reinstallation of the OS would clean things up like it does with Windows. I went into disk utility and told it to download and reinstall Mojave. It would download it but the installation always ground to a halt, waiting as long as 30 hours produced nothing. I tried this 5 times, over wifi, over ethernet, erasing the disk beforehand, deleting the boot camp partition, I ran out of different things to try.

I had an old timecapsule backup that I tried to restore it with. It was several years old, OSX 9.2 or something like that. Anyway it loaded and would run, but still so slowly that it was not usable.

Obviously I have a problem but I don't know what it is. I assume it is hardware related, perhaps a HD? Or can there be a processor or other hardware failure that might be behind this?

The laptop worked well enough that I would be willing to put in another hd if I thought it might help. But at this point that seems like it would just be a shot in the dark and I'd rather not spend several hundred dollars replacing parts at random.

Any suggestions?

thanks,
wolferd
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us