The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-can-see-that-as-a-real-danger-because-i39m-34112595.aspx

Subject:  Re: Time to change!!! Date:  1/17/2019  10:44 PM
Author:  RHinCT Number:  198739 of 198944

I can see that as a real danger because I'm guilty myself of using the same email address for my sign-in at other websites and reuse the same password associated with the email account. Yes, I have not been practicing safe computing.

For years, for countless sites that really didn't matter, I used the same password. I stopped doing that a few years ago but I didn't go back and change them.

A few months ago I started getting emails with that password in the Subject, telling me that they hacked my computer and made videos of me doing nasty things, and all I had to do was pay them not to publish the videos. (I use a desktop system without a camera.)

So one or more sites where I used that password were hacked, and whoever bought the results figured on scaring the dickens out of people and maybe a few would pay.

I ignored them, of course. Except that I did change the password on many of the sites that still had that one.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us