The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Help with this STUPID computer!

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/first-off-if-you-type-one-of-your-e-mails-into-34112894.aspx

Subject:  Re: Time to change!!! Date:  1/18/2019  10:46 AM
Author:  HereIGoAgainSSBB Number:  198740 of 199502

First off, if you type one of your e-mails into his site where he has all of the e-mails, it will tell you exactly where your e-mail account / password credentials are from. In my case my junk e-mail account (@yahoo) was found in 15 different hacks.

Second... Like PSU said... where this information gets interesting is where people use the same e-mail / password combination across sites. The hacker can then use it to gain access to different sites. So unless you're using a hashed set of 15 to 20 character passwords unique to EVERY site, this is a problem for the common user. I know I'm guilty and trying to get better about it, but for most people this isn't "panic-mongering" as you call it. I know someone who uses the exact same password for EVERY site. Just not safe and this aggregation proves it.

Yes, his site is full of adds for Password storage tools and not recommended by my security teams for multiple reasons and not allowed where I work.

HereIGo
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us