The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / New Paradigm Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-don39t-know-how-much-mongo-depends-on-these-34113655.aspx

Subject:  Re: Sold some stuff Date:  1/19/2019  6:47 AM
Author:  captainccs Number:  108046 of 114600

I don't know how much Mongo depends on these third party commercial relationships. I know Mongo and Adobe have a close integration partnership. On the other hand Microsoft competes with Mongo so nothing to speak of there. How much business does this impact, or is it, just like in politics, say mean words, act as if your disappointed, and 3 months later it is all forgotten and business as usual. I don't know. Will Adobe, as a matter of corporate policy now choose to write Mongo out of its software integrations? Does it even matter if they do?

Maybe someone else can enlighten us in regard.

Elsewhere I addressed this issue. The Open Source ethic goes back a long way to at least WW2*, information should be free. It took a long time to become a reality as a backlash against excessive protection, copyright, patents, trademarks, and business secrets. The ability to freely exchange code on the internet was an important enabler. HTML and Javascript is there for all to see. Of course business adapted, if you can't beat them, join them.

What we are seeing with Mongo are the first skirmishes in a new war in an old conflict. How it will turn out is anybody's guess. I'm betting on Mongo because until things change both The Gorilla Game and the Science of Complexity -- path dependence -- say that that is the way to bet.

At this point it's a David vs. not just one but a bunch of Goliaths who want to use Mongo's code for free. And not just Mongo's but all the code they can get their hands on for free.

Mongo is not going to implode overnight, I don't think, because it is best of breed -- path dependence. A look at Mongo's chart shows that it is a great stock to trade, all that volatility can be put to good use.

https://softwaretimes.com/pics/mdb-01-19-2019.gif

I bought MDB at $74.50 on Wednesday thanks to RetHad and sold May 90 calls at $5.70 bringing my cost down to $68.80. If the calls are assigned in May I get paid $90 a share, a 30% return in four months! If not, I get to keep the cheap shares which I can turn into fresh dry powder.

'Tis the Season of Volatility, Make Hay!

Denny Schlesinger

* There are wonderful stories going way back. Richard Feynman was a master lock-picker. Hewlett or Packard ordered that the parts warehouse be left open so as not to impede the engineers from doing their work.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us