The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Saul's Investing Discussions

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/tam-i-understand-that-the-way-that-nutanixs-34114298.aspx

Subject:  Re: Mid-month update. What I've done and why Date:  1/20/2019  10:33 AM
Author:  Darthtaco Number:  50690 of 58929

Tam,

I understand that. The way that Nutanix’s Enterprise license is, is not SaaS though.

We should maybe start a thread on SaaS verses Subscription software. The second S in SaaS stands for service. The key difference between the two is that with SaaS the customer does not take “possession” of the software. Like you say it is consumed as used. Whereas with a subscription license a constumer takes possession of the software and has to use it in accordance with the terms.

Nutanix Enterprise Cloud is not SaaS. The customer takes possession of the software under license. Other products like the Xi lineup are consumed as a Service. Most are hosted as far as I know.

AYX has no SaaS product. It is entirely a license where the customer consumes it via a license. There is a way to do it that is SaaS like on AWS where you “rent” access to the software by the hour along with AWS infrastructure.

Mongo Enterprise is not SaaS but Atlas is.

TWLO is almost entirely SaaS as far as I know.

Typically SaaS is hosted and as you mentioned sometimes it is consumed differently, but to be SaaS the key is it’s Software as a Service in which the customer pays to have access to the software without taking possession of it. Sometimes with subscription sometimes without.

Typically, SaaS has somewhat lower margins than Subscription software because of the cost to host.

Darth
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us