The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Computers, Phones & Internet / Apple User's Group

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-was-wondering-about-that-because-usually-when-34114866.aspx

Subject:  Re: Macbook Pro problems Date:  1/21/2019  6:22 AM
Author:  captainccs Number:  71303 of 71669

I was wondering about that because usually when the wrong memory is installed into a Mac, the Mac stops working. Period. No slowdown, it just stops. Actually, I'm kinda surprised that the bad memory did not do the same. Maybe it was just starting to go and had not fully freaked the Mac ut yet.

The memory worked fine for a time. Then it started to not to slow but to kill the Mac. The seller replaced it with an identical part that never gave a problem. My deduction, right part, bad chips.

What I found extraordinary is that Apple did not detect the problem. Could it be that they don't test the add-ons? The Mac itself eventually reported the problem. Not that it matters but way back in prehistory (1982) I was a certified Apple II and Apple III technician. Back then we did a lot of testing and parts swapping because parts were much less reliable and had a short mean-time between failures. When Venezuela devalued the currency in 1984 the Apple distributor stopped importing and I started to refurbish and sell used Apple IIs.

Denny Schlesinger
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us