The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/teachers-dont-get-paid-for-summer-break-im-34115075.aspx

Subject:  Re: Millionaire professions Date:  1/21/2019  12:56 PM
Author:  2gifts Number:  91649 of 92638

Teachers don’t get paid for summer break I’m thinking.

This statement, and the thinking that teachers are always so very underpaid, make me crack up.

Teachers do not get paid for 8ish weeks of summer break because they are not working then. They only get paid for the days they work. Some will also tell you that they don't get paid for holidays either.

But they have all the holidays off, a week of vacation every 8 weeks or so, and the whole summer off. Most teachers around here actually work other jobs during the summer.

They get medical insurance for which they pay a small portion (around here, they pay 25 - 30% of the premiums), and pensions. They get a raise every year based simply on coming back with all the teachers getting the same raise. They also get paid for anything extra they do such as coach a sport or lead some sort of extracurricular activity.

Teachers in MA start out around $45k per year, but ramp up very quickly to the $80k to $90k range. I don't think that's too bad given they don't work the summer, regardless of if they feel they are getting paid for it. Annualize their salary to see what it works out to if they did work the full year with only 2 to 4 weeks paid vacation like most private industry, and I think it paints a different picture.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us