The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/teachers-in-ma-start-out-around-45k-per-year-34115442.aspx

Subject:  Re: Millionaire professions Date:  1/21/2019  9:32 PM
Author:  culcha Number:  91667 of 93668

Teachers in MA start out around $45k per year, but ramp up very quickly to the $80k to $90k range. I don't think that's too bad given they don't work the summer, regardless of if they feel they are getting paid for it. Annualize their salary to see what it works out to if they did work the full year with only 2 to 4 weeks paid vacation like most private industry, and I think it paints a different picture.

I teach college, but not in MA. Been teaching for about 40 years. Started out in the low $20k range; now up to the $60k range. About annualizing teachers' salaries, I wonder why any one would do this. My father used to say that it was great for me to have summers off -- but that only means that I was unemployed in the summer -- or rather, unpaid. I still have to face an annual review. And I can't say in that review that during the summer I took a trip to Europe, learned Spanish, or studied French cooking. I have to have something to show -- maybe I presented some papers at some conferences, maybe I published a paper in a professional journal, maybe something else -- but something academic has to be there.

As for annualizing the salary. It's already annualized. It's set in the fall , and then only paid out in paychecks over 9 months. During the summer, there's no income. Although lately the college has started a 12-month payment system (which is voluntary) in which our traditional 9-month pay is spread out thinner, over 12 months. (As if we couldn't just save the money ourselves.)

They get a raise every year based simply on coming back with all the teachers getting the same raise.

Not us. Some years we get no pay raise at all. And when there is state money for a raise, different people will get different amounts. Suppose over the summer I received a big grant in a national competition. That sort of thing might get me a better annual review and a bigger raise.

culcha
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us