The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing


Subject:  Re: Income Increased, now what? Date:  1/22/2019  1:49 PM
Author:  DolonAltekar Number:  91688 of 95587

Money in Roth and Taxable accounts will be lower taxes down the road for you. On a traditional IRA all the money you pull out is taxable as ordinary income. All of it unless you made some non-deductible contributions.

Taxable accounts, assuming you LTBH is only taxable as capital gains, and only on the gains. So if you put in $1 and have $1 of earnings pulling out $2 will only count as $1 of income.

And as long as your income is below 77K for married joint filers that rate is 0. Above that is only 15% for quite a while (until 479K).

So if your portfolio is half gain and half contribution you can pull out 154K with 0 tax assuming that's your only source of income.

That's likely better than your 401K.

Don't be afraid of post tax investing. Just buy tax efficient investments like a total market index fund or BRK.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us