The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/and-yes-the-millionaire-nextdoor-read-it-if-34116011.aspx

Subject:  Re: Millionaire professions Date:  1/22/2019  2:47 PM
Author:  MCCrockett Number:  91689 of 92540

*and yes, The Millionaire Nextdoor! Read it if you haven't already. Directly addresses this contrast between Drs and Teachers. Among other interesting performance by various groupings, like ethnicity (e.g. got a Scot background? You're likely to out perform in this area compared to someone with a German family background).

Interesting! I was born in Ayr, Scotland. I arrived on a troop ship carrying War Brides and their children to the United States in 1946.

I was studying Economics at UC Berkeley when I received a draft notice inviting me to participate in the Vietnam War. Managed to get enlisted in the USAF where I was trained as a Computer Programmer. After my military discharge, I completed my BS in Economics with a minor in Computer Science.

Worked as a Software Engineer for the next 40 years until I retired in 2013 at 68. I had an 8 figure income when I retired but only 6 of them were to the left of the decimal point. My colleagues at work often referred to me as "Herr Doktor" as I had a tendency to shift into lecture mode on technical aspects of various projects on which we were working.

So one million for being a Scot and another for being an engineer. Do I get another for being a teacher/lecturer?

I suspect that what wealth I have is a result of being raised by parents that grew up during the depressions in the UK and US. You learned to be frugal.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us