The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Mutual Funds

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/information-on-after-tax-pre-liquidation-return-34116336.aspx

Subject:  information on after-tax, pre-liquidation return Date:  1/22/2019  9:36 PM
Author:  mgdlite Number:  18058 of 18062

Hello,

Where can I find information on after-tax, pre-liquidation annualized returns (excluding load fees)? I was able to find (on Morningstar.com) these returns inclusive of load fees. However, I wasn't able to find information excluding load fees.

I currently have investments in two American Funds (AGTHX and AEPGX) in a taxable account. While I am fortunate to be able to take advantage of breakpoint discounts and thus have a 0% load on "A" shares, the downside is that in a taxable account, these funds pay out large capital gains/dividends each year.

I'd like to have access to 1, 3, 5 and 10 year returns (after tax, pre-liquidation, pre-load) comparing these funds versus their comparable ETF's (such as SPY or EFA) to guide future decision making. I am a long-term buy and hold investor. . . if returns comparing the ETF's vs. these actively managed funds is not that different, I'd rather change my current and future investments to these ETF's. However, I dont want to make any drastic changes without having data.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can provide. My question above was triggered by one of David Gardner's recent Podcast honoring John Bogle where he mentioned the importance of looking at after tax returns.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us