The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Personal Finances / Credit Cards and Consumer Debt

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/aj-given-that-the-soft-inquiries-said-that-they-34117088.aspx

Subject:  Re: Odd Letter in the Mail Date:  1/23/2019  4:40 PM
Author:  JamesBrown Number:  312397 of 313065

aj: Given that the soft inquiries said that they were from Synchrony Bank, which you hadn't previously heard of, I suspect that as you had originally suggested might be the cast - Synchrony is trying to market to you. They used the prescreening process that generates a soft inquiry to find a group of consumers with a specific set of criteria in their credit history, and your credit history fit the bill.

Well, that makes me feel better that I'm not a victim of identity theft.

But wow, what a back-door method of marketing to me. I get credit card offers all the time from banks I've never dealt with, and the envelopes all scream about the low rates and other benefits of signing up.

But with this, I get a plain envelope which encloses a generic, no-nonsense letter claiming that *I've* requested credit with them and that I need to call them to provide them more info before they'll bother to evaluate my request. No website is listed, just a phone number.

Looking at my credit reports, I've indirectly dealt with Synchrony Bank via applying for a Best Buy line of credit years and years ago when making a big-ticket purchase--likely some 'no interest for six months' sort of thing. This is the first time they've contacted me directly, and all by trying to fool me into dropping everything and calling them up--so that they can sell me a credit card?

No thanks.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us