The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Saul’s Investing Discussions

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/gt-imagine-if-that-feeling-lasted-for-a-year-or-34131648.aspx

Subject:  Re: Stock market correction and SaaS stocks Date:  2/11/2019  2:30 AM
Author:  Croesus2024 Number:  51572 of 70629

> Imagine if that feeling lasted for a year or more (especially if you needed the assets for some reason - loss of job, whatever).

I believe in the rules section, and often in posts, Saul mentions having THREE years of "living comfortably", or some such phrase, in cash.

re your general point, as I understand the general idea here, if your portfolio has appreciated 300% during a period when, say, the S&P has increased 50%, and then the market goes down 50%, you're way the heck ahead (and if my math is correct, still have a 50% profit - which still will presumably bounce back within a few years)

Of course, we don't live in an ideal world, and if you were unlucky enough to begin this strategy too close to a stock market downturn, your medium-term results would not be nearly that rosy...Saul does outline his 30 year results, somewhere, which includes two big downturns, and how he dealt with them.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us