The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks


Subject:  Re: Income Tax issues Date:  2/14/2019  7:35 AM
Author:  TMFGalagan Number:  553192 of 563055

I don't know when Medicare will increase our bills.

See page 3 here (7 of 16 in the PDF):

Which tax return does Social Security use?To determine your 2019 income-related monthly adjustment amounts, we use your most recent federal tax return the IRS provides to us. Generally, this information is from a tax return filed in 2018 for tax year 2017. Sometimes, the IRS only provides information from a return filed in 2017 for tax year 2016. If we use the 2016 tax year data, and you filed a return for tax year 2017 or did not need to file a tax return for tax year 2017, call us or visit any local Social Security office. We’ll update our records.

This suggests you won't see surcharges until 2020 (at the earliest) if the income boost shows up on your 2018 return.

Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us