The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/apparently-the-court-thought-that-lufthansa39s-34134613.aspx

Subject:  Re: Lufthansa sues... Date:  2/14/2019  2:03 PM
Author:  1poorguy Number:  23900 of 24164

Apparently the court thought that Lufthansa's terms were not transparent, as that is what they said in their ruling (per the article). And further that their ticket pricing was also opaque.

It may be somewhat airline-dependent. Dunno.

I also have to wonder if the "contract" is not unlike a EULA: no one reads it, and it is not expected by the courts that they do (there was a ruling about that not long ago with respect to a software EULA).

I don't know if I've ever read one completely. Of course, I've also never tried the hidden city trick. I think the only time I ever actually see it is when I get my confirmation email which gives the itinerary and then tells me stuff about not being able to change the ticket without penalty, schedules may change, etc. By then it's too late, I already have the reservation. So at most I glance at it, and usually not even that.

Sacrificing FF points might be an annoyance, but being forced to pay the equivalent of $2000 plus interest strikes me as ludicrous. Lufthansa should, IMO, lose their appeal. To me (and apparently the court, though I haven't read the actual judgment) I paid for a seat on a plane. If I don't use it, that's my loss. It's not as if they have an empty seat that is unpaid. I paid for it. Whether or not I get off at a layover-stop is my business. They wouldn't charge me if I failed to show up for a flight. They would just give my seat to someone on standby, and not refund my money. Basically the same thing here.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us