The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Social Clubs / Imp This Ride

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/we39ve-engaged-a-lawyer-to-help-us-preserve-34134829.aspx

Subject:  Re: I’m sorry I missed your news, Imp Date:  2/14/2019  5:37 PM
Author:  YewGuise Number:  40095 of 40282

...we've engaged a Lawyer to help us preserve assets during the application for medicaid for my father...

I did that too, and the lawyer told Dad to:
- Buy a more expensive house, because real estate is excluded from Medicaid eligibility calculations, and
- Give the rest of his money to his grown children, who will of course set it aside and then later spend it on nothing but his care (HA! hahahaha).

We dis-engaged that lawyer.

...there's even MORE paperwork...

Medicaid has a 5-year look-back, and at first I was in a panic because I don't have 5 years' worth of records. However, when I visited Dad's bank, they said, "Oh, no problem," and within a week mailed me a stack of papers: 5 years' worth of statements and cancelled checks. I stopped there, for a number of reasons; bottom line, my situation is very different from yours.

Medicaid is state-specific, so you might be getting different advice.

Meanwhile, besides your lawyer, there should also be a social worker at your dad's memory care facility who can help.

Best wishes for some stability soon.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us