The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ptheland-wrote-the-pages-are-undoubtedly-34136504.aspx

Subject:  Re: 1099-DIV & 1099-INT from etrade? Date:  2/16/2019  9:05 PM
Author:  joelcorley Number:  128696 of 129521

ptheland,

Wrote, The pages are undoubtedly numbered something like "Page 3 of 8". It's very annoying as a tax pro to get only a few of the known number of pages. You don't know what is missing on the pages which weren't included.

As an example, the Consolidated 1099s I get from Fidelity have a section titled Supplemental Stock Plan Lot Detail that provides details from the sales from my ESPP plan that are not reported on my 1099-DIV; but are very important when filing my tax return. In particular it shows the corrected Discount amount based on the holding period and how much I should adjust the cost basis of the lot that was sold.

I have access to the information necessary to calculate these values for myself; but a tax preparer would not. And in any case Fidelity has already done the math for me, so this section of my Consolidated 1099 makes preparing my return much simpler … and would greatly reduced the number of follow-up questions a CPA or tax preparer might have too.

Also the sections on a Fidelity Consolidated 1099 are clearly marked and the reported values are numbered so as to matched the standard 1099-DIV, 1099-B and 1099-INT forms filed with the IRS. This makes it pretty simple to transcribe values from my Consolidated 1099s into tax software.

- Joel
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us