The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Food & Drink / Recipes/Cooking

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-however-never-made-a-good-pastrami-34143871.aspx

Subject:  Re: split pea soup: beef instead of ham hock? Date:  2/26/2019  11:16 AM
Author:  voelkels Number:  56371 of 56442

“I have, however, never made a good pastrami.”

I'm making a venison pastrami right now. We'll see how it tastes.

I wish you luck, you’ll probably need it. Of my attempts, my best tasting one was using a “Low Salt” corned beef flat that I bought, trimmed of extra fat, soaked in a couple changes of water before I applied the spices and smoked it. DW thought it was great but I thought it was a bit too tough for my taste. After smoking it for a couple of hours, I should have used the “Texas Crutch” and/or finished it in the oven.
;-)

We have a Salvage Store in the village that also sells butchered meat. I like to check it out on Monday mornings when it opens at 8:30. I was in there yesterday looking for whipped cream and saw two I-round roasts that were marked down for quick sale. I picked up the larger of the two, weighing 4.08 pounds with a sell by date of 3/3/19 for $7.00 (the other one was $6.00). I figured that it would make a good corned beast for St. Paddy’s Day (axe-u-lee I’ll probably cook it on the 18th since I don’t cook on Sundays, no). I trimmed off the fat & silverskin and wound up with 3.64 pounds of meat. I made up a dry cure mixture using Morton’s “Tender Quick” some brown sugar and spices. The original recipe say to use brisket and allow about 5 days per inch of meat. I figure that it should be well cured by the 17th.
;-)

C.J.V. - I know that the only folks that eat corned beef & cabbage in Ireland be the tourists, me
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us