The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-notice-that-you-didn39t-address-my-argument-34157429.aspx

Subject:  Re: Boeing and self-certification Date:  3/14/2019  7:34 PM
Author:  syke6 Number:  554975 of 585369

I notice that you didn't address my argument that very commonly government regulators are ineffective at preventing safety issues, despite their power and rules, such as in the Flint leaded water issue. You have government claiming the power to regulate safety, but over and over again they are ineffective at doing that. Seems more like a bait and switch kind of argument that tends to relieve business of responsibility rather than hold them accountable.

In the Flint case, you are mainly dealing with publicly owned water utilities, not hugely wealthy private companies, yet the same issues crop up. Have you considered whether it's not really a case of private owners bribing government regulators, and more of an issue of a lapse in the effectiveness of government regulators?

That's actually a really, really good analogy. IIRC, any water supply with something like over 12 connections is federally regulated. So, well over 300 million people use federally regulated water system every single day and there is only one example where the system failed. That is an astonishing success rate.

The Michigan legislature, by the way, voted overwhelmingly for more government oversight of water systems. Apparently the people affected the most don't share your view of "no oversight necessary."
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us