The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investment Analysis Clubs / Macro Economic Trends and Risks

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/and-i-can-see-the-furnace-and-ac-manufacturers-34160534.aspx

Subject:  Re: Boeing Engineering Date:  3/18/2019  9:54 PM
Author:  steve203 Number:  555150 of 571822

And I can see the furnace and AC manufacturers lobbying the federal agencies to require equipment needing more service. Making them more profitable for the industry.

I don't necessarily see such a nefarious plot, rather the mundane, unrelenting pressure on vendors to make everything ever cheaper.

My aunt and uncle bought a new build condo in 1999. By 2012, they had replaced the furnace and all the windows. By 2015, the sinks were rusting through.

When I was visiting, I would keep the door to the guest room closed overnight to keep the prowling cats out. Wondered why it was always so stuffy in that room. One time I visited in early November and, sitting in the living room, froze, in spite of the thermostat being set over 70. Finally figured out what the problem was: there were no return air ducts in the HVAC system. The furnace's air intake was the louvered door on the closet the furnace was in, next to the kitchen, so the air in the kitchen and dining room would circulate through the furnace fine, but the bedrooms and living room? Forget it.

Steve
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us