The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/how-factor-social-security-in-retirement-draw-34161188.aspx

Subject:  How factor Social Security in retirement draw? Date:  3/19/2019  5:19 PM
Author:  Carpian Number:  92488 of 104771

I officially reached "my number" that I've been targeting as a minimum for retirement (based on the 4% draw rate) last week. I'm 58. But I'm still working, for a couple of reasons: a) I keep thinking we are due for a significant market downturn in the near future and that wouldn't be a good thing for a new retiree so I want some extra cushion in my "number" (note: I've been wrong about this expectation for at least four years running now) , and b) Living on the 4% draw would be livable but a little thinner than I want, until I start drawing social security, at which point I should be fine and dandy, even if I started with the lowest monthly amount at age 62.

I'm pretty obstinate about #a above for a variety of reasons, but #b is one that I'm wondering about and would like to develop some sense of how flexible I could be. I know I should be able to draw something more than 4% for a few years, until I start receiving social security. Does anyone have a good system for computing how much extra draw I could take on a 3 to 5 year basis before starting SS? Compute a present value for the Social Security, and add that to my current investment value, and then compute 4% on the new total (and subsequently when I start to draw SS, that would reduce what I take from my investments)?

Hope that makes sense.
Copyright 1996-2021 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us