The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-bought-a-new-honda-acord-in-1990-and-drove-it-34161378.aspx

Subject:  Re: Cut These Expenses, Add $500K to Retirement Date:  3/19/2019  9:08 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  92502 of 96381

I bought a new Honda Acord in 1990 and drove it for 17 years. Got tired of it.

Put 1/3rd my salary as a telecom engineer into investments. Ate breakfast and dinner at home most days, and bought sandwich in company cafeteria. Many others went out every day for lunch and spend $$ on lunch. I spent #1.70 or so for a sandwich then.

Retired in 1999 after a nice 10 year run in the stock market.

Most of my co-workers couldn't 'believe' that anyone could retire at 52..... but they all had much bigger houses, bigger fancier cars or two.....ate out 4-5 days a week.....and likely for dinner, too..... had 'fantastic vacations' ......etc.

Sadly, many got caught in the telecom meltdown and used a big chunk of what savings they had to survive months till they found new jobs. And they worked and worked till 65 or 70. Luckily, I bailed out at the right time and was 'ready' to do so.

t.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us