The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-plan-on-keeping-vt-and-vug-in-my-roth-so-i-34163854.aspx

Subject:  Re: Portfolio Advice/Help Date:  3/22/2019  6:33 PM
Author:  Rayvt Number:  92608 of 95160

I plan on keeping (VT) and (VUG) in my Roth so I need to figure out what I need to balance it out so it can somewhat be similar to the "Vanguard Life Strategy Aggressive Growth"( just using as example, I know it will vary and be slightly different, I guess the word I'm looking for is "Diversify").

Yeah, you'll not hear about things like Vanguard Life Strategy from the typical financial press.

The Vanguard Life Strategy Aggressive Growth would had been a solid choice if I didn't choose any investment yet.

Buying a ETF is not like getting married. It's not a forever and always decision. You can switch from VT+VUG to Vanguard LifeStrategy Growth Fund (VASGX) with no more effort than a couple of mouse clicks, and at most a few dollars of commission.

I guess the word I'm looking for is "Diversify").

You surely realize that VUG isn't a great diversified with VT. VT is good enough all by itself. Pretty much covers all the bases, US & non-US, 1st world and emerging markets.

If you have 20+ years to go, there's no reason to have any bond exposure. Which is essentially what "diversified" comes down to--owning bonds. Not to mention the terrible losses that bonds will have in the coming decades as interest rates cease their long decrease and start going back up to normal levels.

I'm not sure why you'd want to balance out to be similar to VASGX. If you want that, just buy VASGX and be done with it.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us