The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Arts, Travel & Entertainment / Best Travel Spots/Tips

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i39ve-been-to-new-zealand-for-about-a-month-34204399.aspx

Subject:  Re: MedJet Date:  5/10/2019  2:42 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  24114 of 25039

I've been to New Zealand for about a month this year and the last two. I did 5 separate cycling tours on the South Island and rode a bit around Martinborough(more about wine tasting but nice way to do it) as well. They were with companies - I recommend Pure Trails NZ* and Green Jersey(for the North Island. There's a app - Great Rides of New Zealand(or something like that)- I may eventually try for all of them.

It IS beautiful but I think it's more impressive if you aren't living in a pretty nice place. Probably 80% of the trails on the South Island are gravel and/or dirt so that was all on a hybrid.

I haven't biked Queen Charlotte Sound yet but I highly recommend Okiwa Bay Lodge & the optional dinners there.

*The US $ is still in good shape in the exchange rate, there is no tipping in NZ and people who live there & Australia are less willing to spend money on travel.

I will be doing a self-guided but arranged trip late summer in the San Juan Islands(WA) through Macs Adventures that I bought at a bicycle gala auction. If it goes well, I may do more that way. I've also started leaning toward just renting a good bike when I go places. Next year, I am doing an organized tour from San Diego to St. Augustine (58 days, 8 of them rest days) and that requires me to ship my own bike.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us