The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Learning to Invest / Investing Beginners

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-invested-exclusively-in-stocks-through-the-34207075.aspx

Subject:  Re: New Fool in the House Date:  5/13/2019  7:27 AM
Author:  GWPotter Number:  29275 of 29760

I invested exclusively in stocks through the 1990s. It turns out I confused a rising stock market with my own investing skill. As you know we are currently more than 10 years from the bottom of the Great Recession. That is only one month short of the longest economic expansion in the history of America.

With almost 50 years of market exposure, I have found a few things that work for me. My suggestion for you is for sure invest in equities as opposed to fixed income, but do so in a way that minimizes risk for the next few years. (Risk is the possibility the value of your investments will decrease in value - not the possibility of loosing money. Loosing money happens when you buy high and sell low.)

Check and see if Fidelity has a dummy or test account function. Make your investments there to see how well you do until we are through the next recession. For your actual money, stick that in an S&P500 index fund that reinvests all distributions. When you are doing this, make dummy account investments on the same day and in the same dollar amounts as your S&P500 investments. Most investors do not start with a diversified stock portfolio - and I urge you to handle your dummy account as you would with real money. This will expose you to different kinds of risk.

Personally I invest in mutual funds. I have only 10 funds, one of which is a money market fund. I do this because I have decided there are two things required to beat the market that I don't have. I do not have access to more and better information than the likes of Schwab, Vanguard, Fidelity and Harvard's endowment. Also I don't have the skill sets and computer programs to analyze companies.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us