The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/ssa-weirdness-34209364.aspx

Subject:  SSA weirdness Date:  5/15/2019  5:43 PM
Author:  reallyalldone Number:  129248 of 130765

Not sure where to put this but since it's related to income I'm choosing here. I have gotten two letters from SSA were just weird and calling clarified nothing.

I collect from my husband's account as a survivor(because it should always be more than just mine). The first letter said they were reducing my benefit by $117 beginning Dec 2018. Then they said they would send $9 which was due me through Feb. and after that they list an amount that is $3 more than I was getting.
[I called and the person couldn't explain the reason or the math]

I just got a second letter stating "Our records show that your Social Security benefits are affected because you receive a federal, state or local pension based on your own earnings. The most recent information we have indicates you receive a gross monthly pension of $175.40 effective May 2016."
[Not true and & called to see where the phantom pension was coming from and they couldn't tell me but insisted the annuity/pension from my husband's former employer was required information and I'd better send it in.]

I have thought long and hard about both of our former employers and there shouldn't be a pension from anywhere else. The amount I get from his former company was set when he died in 2011 and will never change.

Then I began to think and wonder if any of this has to do with what they will charge me for Medicare when I am eligible in August. I did send money and filed an extension for my 2019 tax return.

I can file an appeal but I really don't know what I am appealing.

Clues ?
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us