The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Financial Planning / Tax Strategies

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-have-thought-long-and-hard-about-both-of-our-34209432.aspx

Subject:  Re: SSA weirdness Date:  5/15/2019  7:10 PM
Author:  aj485 Number:  129250 of 130424

I have thought long and hard about both of our former employers and there shouldn't be a pension from anywhere else.

Is it possible that between mergers and spin-offs that some small part of one of your pensions would be coming from another company? My first job out of college had a pension that I qualified for. Before I started working for them, the company had originally been purchased by mega-corp A, but still remained it's own division. Apparently the pension obligations were rolled into the parent company's obligations, though. Then mega-corp A got purchased by mega-corp B, which again kept my old company as it's own division, but it apparently also assumed the pension obligations as part of the parent company. My old company's division was then spun off from mega-corp B as it's own stand-alone company (like it had started out many years before) about 6 or 7 years later. However, the pension obligation stayed with mega-corp B. I only ever worked for the company when it was part of mega-corp A. But now, even though I never worked for mega-corp B, I will start collecting a pension from them when I turn 62.

Given that there were several bursts of M&A activity, and then subsequent spin-offs, over the past 30 - 40 years, it might be possible that you are owed a pension from a company that neither of you ever worked for.

AJ
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us