The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/personally-i-would-like-to-see-the-life-34218231.aspx

Subject:  Re: RMDs to change to 72 Date:  5/29/2019  12:48 AM
Author:  MCCrockett Number:  93763 of 94944

Personally, I would like to see the Life Expectancy Factors in the IRS' Universal Lifetime Tables reduced to ensure that there is sufficient wealth to support those in their late nineties and the expanding centenarian population.

I don't think that updating the tables will make any difference in that regard. Just because an RMD is taken out of a retirement account doesn't mean that the money can't be reinvested in a taxable account.

I hadn't anticipated the growth in the stock market that occurred after I retired in 2013 at age 68. I was shocked to discover that first RMD in 2015 was double what I had expected. I've transferred my first 5 years of RMD withdrawals to a taxable investment account where it has been reinvested to support my wife and I in our late nineties and early hundreds.

Unfortunately, my wife died in January. So, next year I will need to use a portion of my RMD withdrawal to pay Federal and state income taxes.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us