The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/cbs-this-morning-spoke-of-a-survey-that-purported-34227355.aspx

Subject:  Re: True Relaxation? Date:  6/10/2019  10:25 PM
Author:  utahtea Number:  21188 of 21360

CBS this morning spoke of a survey that purported that the very best way to "relax" was to go on a cruise.

Says who?

Frankly, we'd never want to go on one, for many reasons:

1) Let's start with the cost, obviously. It won't be cheap to do it!

2) Voluntarily being packed onto a ship with thousands of other people doesn't seem very "relaxing". Peace and quiet? Uh... I doubt it.

3) These days, it seems that diseases sometimes start on the ship, and then you're more or less stuck there, maybe even in your cabin.

4) A friend told us that, on their cruise, whenever the ship docked, they were FORCED to leave the ship for the day and go ashore! Really? No thanks!

We enjoy the peace and quiet right here in our country home, surrounded by several acres of trees. Neighbors are a few hundred yards away, if we want them, and we sometimes visit friends or have them over here, but otherwise, we are allowed to do as we please, how we please, whenever we please. At night, there are no sounds except the whispering of winds in the trees, if we have the windows open -- and maybe an occasional car going by on the dirt road 250+ feet away. No loud voices in the hallway or stomping feet above or below us.

Mind you, we DO enjoy trips by car to Maine (to a favorite B&B) and other places, sometimes, but we're not fond of bars or other noisy places.

Go on a cruise to "relax"? Not for us, thanks. I have to wonder whom they asked.

Vermonter

DH & I don't go on a cruise or any trip to relax because we can relax at home but I will say that sea days are relaxing. We don't call them vacations any more because we're both retired. We travel to explore, see different beautiful scenery and for the adventure! We travel to see new and strange places or go back to our favorite places. We have two main ways to travel. Motorhome and cruise ships. We're not into crowds either, but even our national parks are getting very crowded.

We didn't know if we would like cruising so we tried a 7 day Alaska cruise. LOVED IT! We've now done 6 cruises. One 39 day transpacific to the South Pacific, Australia and New Zealand. It was an amazing trip. We just finished a 40 day a transatlantic to Bermuda, Azores, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Copenhagen, Estonia, Russia, Finland, Sweden, German, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Ireland & Norway. It was very emotional for me because I visited the birth countries of two of my grandparents. We saw amazing places that we won't soon forget.

1. No cruising is not cheap, but neither is buying and owning our motorhome. We still LBOM so why not do what we enjoy.

2. We choose smaller ships of no more than 1900. On some sea days we could walk on the promenade deck and see very few people. We do not enjoy eating at the buffet and the crowds in that area so we choose to eat in the dining room for breakfast and dinner. We ask for a table for two. When we're in our room you don't know there are others onboard the ship. Once in a while you'll hear a voice in the hall but muffled. I hear my neighbors at home just as much! We like the shows and expert lectures but we don't do any of the organized options onboard. We found where to get the popcorn and take it back to our cabin to watch movies at night. ;)

3. If you get sick at home you're pretty much stuck in your house so you don't spread what you have. You can catch something at the store or library too! We've been lucky and haven't gotten sick.

4. In our 134 days on a cruise ship we were only required to leave the ship once for customs but you could get back on board the ship as soon as it cleared customs. We know people who did just that and you NEVER are forced to spend time on land if you don't want to. We have made several life friends on our cruises. We've even meet up with them at our house, their house, on Skype and on camping trips!

I know that cruising or motorhome travel is NOT for everyone. Some people don't like to travel and there's nothing wrong with that. We do love travel. We have taken a trip every year we've been married (46 years) and we didn't consider it a trip unless we left the state of California. Our dream was to retire and travel even more. We are living our dream! I do HATE living out of a suitcase so that's why cruises and a motorhome are so perfect! Some day we won't be able to travel like we do now and that thought makes me sad, so I'm enjoying as much as I can while we're still healthy enough to do what we love. We typically travel 3 months out of every year.

Utahtea
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us