The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Investing/Strategies / Retirement Investing

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quot-i-think-i-first-started-reading-his-blog-34232097.aspx

Subject:  Re: Ideal Age to Retire Date:  6/18/2019  1:26 PM
Author:  telegraph Number:  94021 of 94973

"I think I first started reading his blog thanks to a link on this board where he wrote why either Roths were stupid or regular IRAs are stupid, and even though the real answer is "it depends on your assumptions,"

I also think that _financially_ both IRAs and Roths are kinda stupid. Looked at it from the viewpoint of your entire life, they just shuffle the timing of WHEN you pay taxes. And for most people that is only a small advantage. Real, but small."

----

If you are saving in your 20s, having 50-60-70 years of tax free gains for your ROTH sure can make a lot of difference. If you are in the 20-30% more tax bracket, all those gains are tax free. In a traditional account (non deferred) you are paying taxes annually on gains...interest and dividends and capital gains.

For many, if a company contributes a 50% match up to 6% or something like that, that too is a nice incentive...... for a 401K or Roth 401K......

If you're in a state with a high state tax, even more benefit of tax deferred or tax free gains.

The secret, as always, is not putting all your eggs in one basket.

t
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us