The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/i-certainly-don39t-dispute-the-greater-34237212.aspx

Subject:  Re: Regrets about college education Date:  6/25/2019  10:24 PM
Author:  FCorelli Number:  125985 of 127190

I certainly don't dispute the greater (average) earnings potential of STEM graduates. On the other hand, my college teaching career and my experiences as an overeducated, but generally very enthusiastic, liberal arts student suggest there's no point pushing people into what makes them miserable or for which they have no aptitude. (The "how many ______s does it take to screw in a light bulb?" joke could have been composed with me in mind. :) )

Steve

If you are OK with the idea of "You can get money anywhere", then the degree you get doesn't have to be something you don't like. But you will have to perhaps, settle for less OR be a multi-degreed liberal arts plumber. Or cab driver. Those two concepts don't usually go together though. Personally I would do something a la intrcst. Get a degree in something that pays well upfront. (He was lucky in that e actually liked being a CE) Save it like you're gonna die if you don't. Then punch out early and go on to do that thing you really like to do even if it doesn't pay.

In my case I enlisted in the Air Force because where I came from it was really the only option other than riding the rails like a hobo. I did not like it. But for some reason I was good at it. The job had potential and a ladder to climb, a pension and lifetime medical insurance. The more time I had in the harder it was to leave. Golden handcuffs maybe but it only lasts 20 yrs. A long time at 18. Not so long at 26.
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us