The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Politics & Current Events / Retire Early Liberal Edition

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/fcorelli-writes-in-my-case-i-enlisted-in-the-air-34237284.aspx

Subject:  Re: Regrets about college education Date:  6/26/2019  1:56 AM
Author:  intercst Number:  125986 of 127188

FCorelli writes,

In my case I enlisted in the Air Force because where I came from it was really the only option other than riding the rails like a hobo. I did not like it. But for some reason I was good at it. The job had potential and a ladder to climb, a pension and lifetime medical insurance. The more time I had in the harder it was to leave. Golden handcuffs maybe but it only lasts 20 yrs. A long time at 18. Not so long at 26.

</snip>

I never considered the military as a career since I figured I could make more money in industry. But when I lived in San Diego in the late 1980's I had a girlfriend who was a Recruiter in the Navy. And she kept trying to get me to join with the pitch, "Since you have experience, you'll start at a higher rank." I said, "Yeah I understand that, but you'll have to bring me in as an Admiral to make it cost competitive with what I'm doing now."

But actually the military is a pretty good deal if you live in a high cost area like San Diego or San Francisco where you're getting a large housing adjustment if you live off base. With the adjustment, it almost competitive with a typical civilian salary. But that goes away if you get transferred. One of her Navy colleagues got transferred to the Naval Station in Pascagoula, Mississippi and the housing allowance virtually disappeared.

intercst
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us