The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Religion & Culture / Christian Fools

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/adrian-every-thursday-for-25-years-first-34247519.aspx

Subject:  Re: Prayer not allowed Date:  7/10/2019  4:33 PM
Author:  rev2217 Number:  199428 of 199640

Adrian,

“Every Thursday for 25 years, First Congregational Church of Dubuque has served a free community meal that begins with a short blessing. But at a recent training from the local food bank, religious leaders were forbidden to pray out loud over meals made with USDA commodities.”

I’m with the author on this one.

“While I understood their position, this pastor chose prayer.

I'm pretty sure that the pastor is on firm legal ground.

President George W. Bush issued an executive order directing federal agencies that fund or otherwise supply services related to social welfare to make those services available through religious and non-religious organizations on an equal basis, giving the users of those services the option of choosing from which provider to obtain them. IIRC, those who advocate institutional Atheism on the part of our federal government challenged the executive order in court, and the courts ruled that it was religiously neutral and thus did not cross the so-called "Establishment Clause" of the first amendment to our federal constitution.

Of course, those who are offended by the pastor's prayer have a right to set up a communal meal in another location and to receive "USDA commodities" on an equal basis.

Norm.
Copyright 1996-2020 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us