The Motley Fool Discussion Boards

Previous Page

Retirement Discussions / Retired Fools Message Board

URL:  https://boards.fool.com/quoti-am-62-years-old-currently-working-and-34259803.aspx

Subject:  Re: What to do with Pension Lump Sum Date:  7/27/2019  11:10 PM
Author:  Howie52 Number:  38 of 38

"I am 62 years old, currently working and plan to retire at FRA of 66. My pension from my former company currently earns 6%. I was not considering taking this lump sum until 65 or 66 but I am concerned about the future of my old company (or the company's pension); I'd rather take control. This lump sum would represent about 30% of my investment savings. The other 60-65% is professionally managed, and is doing quite well. It is invested mostly in individual stocks and some bond ETF's. Some is qualified and some is not. I manage about 15% in stocks myself. I would be happy getting a 6% return for like the pension currently earns because I take comfort in this more conservative approach. I am considering a targeted fund approach or diversification through ETF's. I'm trying to keep management fees as low as possible. Thoughts? "

Hope you went to another board for comments - in the event you are extraordinarily patient,
look to Vanguard Funds.

Howie52
Copyright 1996-2019 trademark and the "Fool" logo is a trademark of The Motley Fool, Inc. Contact Us